HARRISONBURG, VA — Anabaptists around the world are gearing up to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Anabaptist movement in 2025, and to mark this historic occasion, we are excited to announce the creation of a commemorative story book that will capture the diverse and inspiring stories of Anabaptist witness from around the globe.
The story book aims to document and celebrate the various creative expressions of Anabaptist faith and its impact on individuals and communities worldwide. We are currently seeking photos and story ideas that showcase inspiring initiatives that embody the Anabaptist values of peace, justice, discipleship, and community.
Some examples of the stories that have already been collected for this remarkable project include:
- A congregation that created specialized teams to help its members reduce consumer debt, promoting financial freedom and stewardship within the community.
- The construction of an inclusive playground by a forward-thinking congregation, providing a safe and welcoming space for children of all abilities to play and learn together.
- A breathtaking mural used as a visual aid during Amish baptismal classes, offering a vibrant representation of the transformative power of baptism and faith.
- An innovative solution to a drought in Ethiopia, where a barrel filled with water served as a makeshift baptismal tank, symbolizing rebirth and renewal in challenging circumstances.
- A Bible conference in Myanmar that taught young adults the principles of nonviolence and peacemaking in the midst of ongoing conflict, empowering them to become agents of change and reconciliation.
We need more stories! We are eager to include a wide range of experiences and perspectives from Anabaptist communities worldwide. In particular, we encourage submissions from areas outside of the Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Ontario regions to ensure a truly global representation.
We invite individuals, congregations, organizations, and communities to submit their story ideas to be considered for inclusion in the book. These stories can be both large-scale projects and small, personal testimonies that illustrate the transformative power of Anabaptist faith.
“The aim of this book is to weave together a tapestry of stories that showcases ways in which Anabaptist values have been embodied and lived out across different cultures and contexts,” said John Roth, project director. “We hope these stories will inspire readers to find creative expressions of their faith as they follow Jesus in their own communities.”
Submissions should include a brief description of the story idea, along with up to three vivid photographs that document the creative expressions of Anabaptist witness. The deadline for submissions is August 30, 2023; submissions can be sent to MolleeM@MennoMedia.org or uploaded here.
For more information about Anabaptism at 500, including submission guidelines and project updates, please visit our website AnabaptismAt500.com. Join us as we celebrate the past, present, and future of Anabaptist faith and witness!
About Anabaptism at 500:
Anabaptism at 500 is a project by MennoMedia, the publishing ministry of Mennonite Church USA and Mennonite Church Canada. To learn how you and your congregation can be involved in Anabaptism at 500, visit AnabaptismAt500.com.